Monday, November 18, 2013

my faith will be made Stronger...

Friends, when life gets really difficult, don't jump to the conclusion that God isn't on the job. Instead, be glad that you are in the very thick of what Christ experienced. 
This is a spiritual refining process, with glory just around the corner. 
1 Peter 4:12-13

Why does a loving God let bad things happen?

This is a question that so many people wonder about and I'm not saying I have the perfect answer, but I think I'm beginning to grasp it. One thing I know for sure is that God does NOT allow bad things to happen because he is not allowed in those places where certain disasters happen. One example of this is when the Newtown School Shooting happened in Connecticut and people posted pictures like this on Facebook:


Hmmm... So you are saying that I don't matter? My light I'm shining for Jesus in my school doesn't matter? The love I share with my students isn't the love that Jesus wants us to share? I'm a follower of Jesus and I am also a teacher in a public school who is bringing God into school every day.

I just don't walk into the building and say, "Sorry, God, this is where I leave you today". It hurt me (and made me angry) to think that people thought God was not allowed in the school. God, our creator, our heavenly father, needs a permission slip to go into a public school? I don't think so! I mean sure, I can't share my faith in the way I would like to, but that does not mean He's not there. 

Just wondering... God is allowed in hospitals right? Pastors, ministers, deacons and other Godly people visit dying people right? And the truth is people still die. People that don't deserve to die. It's just the truth.

When my parents and grandparents were in school they were allowed to pray and even recited some Bible verses. I honestly don't think that would change the disasters in the world. God is a choice. He doesn't shove it toward anybody saying "BELIEVE IN ME!!!!" He doesn't need to campaign that way. He sends people to be the light and to share the message with unbelievers. But we need followers of Jesus to be able to share their faith with others! It's what God wants us to do. I don't think allowing whole group prayer and reciting of verses is our answer... in my opinion it would be great if students who came from a Christian family weren't afraid to share with their classmates what they believe. That is allowed. (It might not be easy, but I don't think it's supposed to be!)

But honestly isn't God a choice? He wants us to choose Him. I know for certain if God wanted to he could make all people believe in Him. He has the ultimate power. He gave us the free will to make our own choices. He is always there in our lives. I know I felt him there lonnnnnng before I truly accepted him in my life, but when I finally did. I was changed.




Now the other disasters in the world are the same-- cancers, natural disasters, diseases, serial killers, car accidents, etc. They don't occur because God is trying to punish us and say "Well sorry guys, I'm not allowed here so here ya go!" That's not the loving, compassionate, kind hearted God that I know. 

The only thing I know for sure is this: God does not promise an easy life. Think about the pain that Jesus endured so that we could have eternal life. Perfect Jesus even had trouble because God wants us to choose. He doesn't MAKE us believe. 

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you WILL have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." -- John 16:33 

God does not want bad things to happen. He truly doesn't. But he also says that this world is not our home. We simply have to endure and do what he wants us to do until he takes us home. All I can do is trust Him. That he has the plan already set up PERFECTLY for my life and the lives of everyone else on this planet. It's probably not the plan that I am creating in my mind, but it's his perfect plan and I won't know the reasons until I can actually be in the presence of Him in heaven. 


So if you find life difficult because you're doing what God said, take it in stride. 
Trust him. He knows what he's doing, and he'll keep on doing it. 
1 Peter 4:19

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, Megan. I have been struggling today with so many things, and you were saying, so beautifully, what has been on my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lindsey. This means a lot. <3

    ReplyDelete