Saturday, February 16, 2013

My thorn...

To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness'."
2 Corinthians 12:7-9 

His grace is sufficient for ME. His power is made perfect in MY weakness. Anyone else need to hear that today? Through these glorious two years I have been following Christ I have been overwhelmed with love from Him but not without my struggles.

One of the biggest struggles I have in my life is anxiety. It overcomes my soul at times. I cannot control these thoughts I have about my life. I fear I am going to get sick, like minor sicknesses such as the flu or THE STOMACH BUG (YUCK!), but I also have the fear that I am going to get a horrible serious sickness, like cancer. 

When I tell most people about this fear, they say things like, "Megan, you are so healthy!', or 'you are 24 years old' or, 'that is an irrational fear." I totally get this! But still satan TORMENTS my mind with these thoughts.

This thorn of anxiety has made me feel scared and fearful but most of all weak. I want SO badly to trust exactly what Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a FUTURE." He says it right there -- God has a future for me. I just need to let Him have it. 

So many wonderful scriptures have been helping me along this journey. I have a special 3x5 index card pink carrying case with about 50 scriptures in them (alphabetized of course). When I am feeling anxious I will take the cards out and read them to be filled with hope and peace. Proverbs 3:5-6 says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."

As long as I believe -- REALLY believe that God is there and that he is going to do something good, I can stop freaking out. Even though I know there are going to be some things and maybe some AWFUL things that come into my life, God is great and he has a plan for me. I have to change my thoughts to align with the TRUTH of God's word, not the lies of Satan.

I have been reading Unlgued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions by Lysa TerKeurst -- In this book she talks about toxic thoughts and emotions.  Lysa says, "We are to think about, ponder, and PARK our minds on constructive thoughts not destructive thoughts. Thoughts that build us UP, not tear us down. Thoughts that breathe LIFE, not suck life from us. Thoughts that lead to PEACE, not anxiety.

Lord, I pray that my thoughts each and every day may change in accordance to your Truth, not the enemy's lies. Please guard my heart and mind. I pray that my fears will go away in time. I pray that I trust You with all of my heart with my future. I know You have great plans for me and I give my future to You. I thank You for the plans You have for me. 


Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. 
Philippians 4:6-7

4 comments:

  1. Wow....word for word...exactly what I needed to hear today. It is amazing to me that no matter how many times I hear the same truths, there are particular ones that I need to hear over and over. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful and wonderful truth! What I love so much about this is that God uses even our anxiety to bring us closer to Himself. His grace is sufficient and He is enough! I love it! Thank you for sharing so honestly, sweet Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Megan...I too needed to hear this....

    ReplyDelete